Friday, May 21, 2010

Dragonball Kai to premiere this Tuesday


In the 1990's I got my first look at anime on Toonami, being blown away by the new style of animation I was looking at. The 90's were the absolute golden age for animated shows, so showing them up today might be easy but it wasn't always. One of those shows was Dragon Ball Z.

The Frieza saga was where I started, and I had a blast. The story, the enemies, all of it appealed to me and made me interested in anime. A dang shame Cartoon Network gave up on Toonami back then.

Anyway.

Dragon Ball Z was a good show, I loved it. Today i'm blowing up into a major Otaku, and man did they drag out the Super Saiyan transformations when comparing to the Japanese. So call me surprised when I learned of Dragonball Kai, I thought it was a fill in show within Dragon Ball Z. Yet it turns out, when everyone had their shot at dubbing Dragonball Z the animation files were thrown out.

Why this happened, I don't know. However they redrew all the animation for the show, and made a "refreshed series" that premiered in 2009. Now Funimation has redubbed the refreshed series, clocked in at 100 episodes with some fixes. The biggest being that the power ups aren't dragged out this time around, or so i've heard.

So this Tuesday May 25th Kai will premiere on...

Nicktoons Network

Odd place for it to premiere, what happened with Cartoon Network?

Regardless, I will provide a review for Kai episodes and hopefully FUNimation has learned from the "freedoms" it took with the original show.

No comments:

Post a Comment