Friday, May 15, 2009

Comic Review: Invincible issues #1-13



Let me start off by saying that I am a huge fan of Robert Kirkman and the work he has done on “The Walking Dead” series. So when I first heard about Invincible about three years ago I was definitely interested but just never picked it up. Quite a stupid thing to do having now read through the first 13 issues in one sitting.

Invincible tells the story of a boy named Mark Grayson who has been waiting years to obtain the powers that his world famous superhero dad Omni-Man has. Now that is coming of age he has started to possess powers such as super strength, super-speed, and invulnerability.

The first four issues of the story are used to ease us and our hero into this new world. The comic is a lot of fun right from the get go. We get to see what a day in the life young and new superhero might be like. From coming up with a name to designing a costume and then to figuring out how to balance a life of heroism by night and homework by day.

We get introduced to this team of superheroes that act as this universes teen titans and while I liked them at first I can’t say that other then Atom Eve that any of them have grown on me. I’m curious to see how big a part they play as the series goes on. I just don’t feel so well connected to them unlike the relationship between Mark and his father Omni-Man which has been the highlight of the story for me so far.

Omni-Man is Superman on the job but when it’s dinner time he’s just Nolan Grayson another dad trying to pay the bills and love his family. The way Kirkman lets their relationship unfold is just so natural and inviting. They are the ultimate father and son team; it’s a relationship every son would want with his father.

The best thing about this story is its unpredictability. When reveals are made they hit you in the stomach like a ton of bricks. I keep wondering what will be next but things go so far in the other direction that it’s hard to even see the point in trying to predict where Kirkman is going with “Invincible”.

While I can’t praise the writing enough the one downside of the first seven issues has been the art by Cory Walker. While it’s not bad it just is a very simplistic line drawing style that just isn’t my preference. In issue eight and on though Ryan Ottley has taken over and the art has been much better and only seems to be improving.

Story: 5 out of 5
Art: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment