Thursday, September 17, 2009

Chowder Impressions

Chowder is a cartoon that airs regularly on Cartoon Network. It first aired in November 2007 but since I took a break from watching TV for a while, I had never seen it before today.

The show was created by C.H. Greenblatt, who was formerly a storyboard artist on Spongebob as well as Billy & Mandy. Those are two high-profile cartoons, but this is Greenblatt's first foray into making his own series.

The show is divided into two approximately 15-minute stories per episode. I had watched two episodes back to back, and I must say... Chowder works on so many levels. It's got kiddie charm, but it's not mind-numbing. It's got great voice acting that's crazy, but not annoying, utilising some VERY GOOD comedic timing and delivery. Not only that, but the jokes aren't generic, and some can even make a 21 year old male like myself laugh out loud.

In this day and age most cartoons have been doing a lot of dumbing-down in terms of comedy, and they've all been trying to send a message to kids. I stopped watching a lot of cartoons because of this force-feeding of personal views. I kept thinking to myself "What ever happened to all the fun cartoons?" Well, Spongebob is one example of a fun cartoon nowadays, as well as Billy & Mandy... so it's to be expected that somebody who worked on both of those cartoons would make somethings great. I must say, Chowder works on so many levels that it's astounding. If you haven't seen the show yet, flip it on sometime... it's probobly the best thing since Rocko's Modern Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment