Sunday, September 13, 2009

Movie Review: 9

So, I went to the theater the other day and saw 9. I haven't really seen much of anything about the movie aside from a few commercials on TV, and I wasn't really expecting much going in, especially since I had heard Tim Burton was involved, and he hasn't had much of anything good lately. I was expecting a fun sci-fi animated movie, with some cool action scenes and not much else. I must say, though, when I left the theater, the movie surpassed my expectations.

"9" is about a series of hand-made robots, all made by this scientist, and they're numbered 1-9. Each of the robots has a great personality, and they all play well off of each other throughout the course of the movie. The main character, however, would have to be Number 9, who is an overall very likable character throughout the movie.

The story is what really captivates you about the whole movie, and they tend to get pretty deep. I don't want to give too much away, but the 9 robots are the saviors of humanity, and they have to fight off evil robots. The whole thing feels somewhat like a metaphor for the people vs. the government, and is a lot, especially for a kid's movie. Oh, but that's right, this is rated PG-13, and the rating shows through, with the movie's surprisingly dark tone.

Over the course of the movie, we see many of the nine robots apparently being killed by this giant robot, and without too many spoilers, there's a slight twist at the end that I wasn't really expecting. The action scenes are good too, and everything is very nicely animated, with a very nice art style to everything.

Overall, 9 is a fun movie with a bit of a deep story to it, the whole thing seems like a kids movie, but then it really surprises you with it's dark tone, and overbearing metaphors. However, a lot of this is easy to ignore, so if you're just looking for a fun sci-fi movie, this is for you, or if you're looking for a bit more, this is also for you.

I give 9 a 4 out of 5.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say I don't really agree. None of the characters really had all that much to them. And there was something missing form the film maybe it was that there were so few characters but I felt like the movie was trying to tell an epic tale about these small robots but the movie never felt epic. The art and adult themes were a pleasant addition to the animated film genre but I don't feel the film was executed to it's fullest. And some of the plot points were just absurd but I don't want to spoil anything.

    2 out of 5

    ReplyDelete