Sunday, June 21, 2009

Comic Review: Scott Pilgram's: Precious Little Life

Scott Pilgram's: Precious Little Life is the first volume of a comic i'd like to call "special". The series is written and drawn by Bryan Lee O'Malley. At first glance I was lead to believe that the comic would be an indie relationship book with people talking about life in bars, libraries, and Starbucks. If you go into this book thinking that, you might just be disappointed. If however you decide to go with the flow you might be pleasantly surprised by what you find.

Scott Pilgram is a 23 year old without a job and has to share a bed with his gay roommate Wallace. He's in a band and dating a 17 year-old girl named Knives Chau. Life is good and then things get complicated once gets a peak at a delivery girl named Ramona Flowers who he's obsessed over. In his quest to get to know Ramona we find out some odd details that come along with dating her.

The book was such a quick read for me. I read the whole first volume in about an hour but don't let that deter you. Just because it's a quick read doesn't mean it's not incredible. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't read the book but a huge shift happens towards the end of the book. Where you learn what the series is really going to be about. That is when you'll have to make the choice to go with it or abandon it. I'm choosing to go with it because I just have to see where the story goes. I can assure you this series is like nothing else around. I also have to mention that this book is pretty dam funny, I actually caught myself laughing out loud a few times. The book plays with all types of mediums from comics to movies to video games and they all work. The artwork can be both simple and detailed but it always fits the story and emotions just right. I'm sure it helps that the artist and the writer are the same person. I also have to mention that this book is pretty dam funny, I actually caught myself laughing out loud a few times.

There are 7 planned volumes with 5 being out so far. I will be doing my best to cover each volume. I you haven't read this series or maybe aren't into comics I beg of you give this one a shot because I really think it's something "special".

Story: 5 out of 5
Art: 4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment