Monday, June 22, 2009

Impressions on Beastly


On ET I finally had a look at some pics and sets for Beastly, and I have to say I felt a little embarassed. Pink text and focus on the women in the movie isn't exactly helping me be proud of the fact I read this book, it felt too feminine. And I have to say the book is not.

Basically its a story about a privileged teen getting what he deserves by changing his physical form to something people will fear. This teen, Kyle Kingsbury, must find a women who could love him as the beast he is and kiss him to remove the spell in just two years. Note: this is a modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast, not the Disney version but the original 1940's french film I have seen a scant amount of.

In THIS VIDEO I had a peek at the creature design, and it appealed to me because I could not see how such a thing could work. But once again, it is looking too feminine to the point that it looks like it was "inspired" by the twilight craze. It wasn't, its a pretty nice book you can't put down, the book has very interesting characters with my favorite being Will Fratalli. I really liked him as a character and have heard lots of excitement over Neil Patrick Harris portraying him, I am not too familiar with him but he seems to be a good actor to have in a movie.

But Jeez, Vanessa "sellout" Hudgens and an Olson twin who has to portray a middle aged woman, a witch and and ugly girl. How is this going to work?

I recommend the book, and I hope the movie turns out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment