Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Game Review: Overlord 2


Let me get a few things out of the way. For starters I never played the first Overlord so I won't be able to judge this game compared to it. I have played the demos for both games and hated both. It wasn't until I rented Overlord 2 that I realized that the games don't really demo all that well. It isn't the combat that makes the game entertaining to me it's the characters, story, and humor.

The first thing that really jumped out to me was the game is. Especially this recurring Link sort of character played as a flamboyant animal loving tree hugger. It's incredibly over the top but I couldn't help but laugh. The humor almost has a Fable sensibility to it, just more outlandish. The minions have a couple of great lines which sadly repeat over and over. They are really good the firs time though.

Many people have described the combat here as basically being Pikman for adults. For the most part I'd say thats pretty much dead on. Even down to having to get 10 minions under and item in order to move the object. Nothing about Minion controlling mechanics really blew me away. They worked but never as precisely or effectively as I would have liked. They try to give the illusion that there is some kind of strategy to how to move your different colored units but for the most part I never saw a reason for it. Other then a few certain situations I usually found that I could just send in all the minions and they would get the job done. This isn't a particularly challenging game and so using strategies becomes more tedious then necessary.

I think the game is a really great experience and pretty different then most modern games. It doesn't always quite click with gameplay but the humor and atmosphere really make up for it. It's definitely worth giving a chance or if you just want a change of pace.

4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment