Friday, July 3, 2009

Book Review: Rhett Butlers People


If you are a fan of Gone with the Wind, one of the longest and legendary books that has existed for so many years. You will realize how timeless the story is, especially being of an older story set during the Civil War. The movie adaption is also a landmark in history, and there is a sequel to the book and the movie. The movie was not so great, but the book it was based on was decent, despite being a less satisfying experience. Another book came out called Rhett Butler's People, and I expected it'd be a decent read. Nope.

I don't know who authorized this book, but they made a huge mistake. I know it's about Rhett Butler more than anyone else, but unlike Scarlett which is the sequel to Gone with the Wind, this midquel is shameless. It doesn't pay homage like it should, heck it even has chapters without Rhett Butler at all. I read exactly 9 chapters, and I hated it.

So if your a fan of Gone with the Wind, I do recommend Scarlett but tell you to avoid Rhett Butler's people because it is not the same style as the other two. The author strikes me as unsuited to capture the scope of Gone with the Wind. Maybe someone else might like it, but it seems the Gone with the Wind knockoffs will get worse as they make more to "print" money off of Margaret Mitchell's hard work.

I give it a 2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment