Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Halo 10 year anniversary



Today is Tuesday July 21th 2009 and you know what that means? It means it's the 10 year anniversary since Halo was announced at Macworld 1999. This was before Microsoft even owned Bungie. Steve Jobs announced that Halo would be the game to put Mac gaming back on the map using the OpenGL platform. Microsoft announced that it bought Bungie on June 19th 2000. Then a little over a year later on November 15th 2001 Halo: Combat Evolved hit consoles changing the view on console shooters forever.

It's hard to think that Halo has been with us for so long. I remember going with my mom to buy a bundle on day one from Toys R' Us. The bundle didn't come with Halo so I returned two of the games and got Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee and Halo: Combat Evolved. I always liked games but I don't think I officially became a "hardcore" gamer until Halo came out. So even if the Halo franchise isn't the pinnacle of gaming the way it once was it will always be a part of my life as a gamer. Thank you Bungie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment