Thursday, June 11, 2009

Project Natal on Jimmy Fallon

So, I was surfing around the web when I found this video where Kudo Tsunoda was showing off Project Natal on the Late Night Show with Jimmy Fallon. Now, I found this pretty odd, seeing as how E3 stuff is never usually shown anywhere else in the mainstream media, but I also found it pretty intriguing to see what the mainstream would think.

CLICK HERE to watch the video at Hulu.

Now, the first game they showed was Ricochet, and it was pretty much what we saw at E3. Of course, after Kudo showed off how it worked, we had Jimmy Fallon and his crew jump in and try playing it. After seeing how responsive Natal was on the E3 stage, it's no surprise that it was just as responsive even when Kudo wasn't at the helm.

So, that was cool, getting to see Jimmy Fallon and friends jump around going crazy, hitting a bunch of balls. Pretty funny, really... but, the next thing was extremely exciting. The next game they showed off for Project Natal was Burnout. No, not a new Burnout game... that's right, they showed Burnout Paradise!

Now, THIS got me excited, especially after seeing how well it worked! One foot would be used for the gas, and depending on where it was, you could use it for the brakes too, then you would just hold your hands up like a steering wheel, and steer left or right. The controls seemed very responsive, but I'm not sure if it would be just as good as playing the game with a controller, I'll have to pick it up sometime and see for myself.

This kind of backwards re-tooling of game controls using Natal seems like a great idea, and I hope more companies look into doing something like this for their previous games. However, Criterion has been keeping Burnout Paradise alive with DLC for a while now, and I'm pretty sure there's still more DLC to come out, so it seems only logical that they'd upgrade it to support Natal controls. I'm kind of doubtful this would happen for something like Halo 3 or GTAIV, or even how well it could work for those type of games, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the developers do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment