Monday, June 1, 2009

E3 2009: Pre-Day Trailer Impressions

So, E3 hasn't officially started yet, but there has been a constant stream of E3 trailers showing up online. I've watched a handful of em' and here's my impressions of the ones I've watched:




Dante's Inferno - Link
This trailer was pretty short, and it makes the game look pretty generic. My hype level for the game has gone down considerably, which really isn't what a trailer should do...

Brink
- Link
I've been a big fan of Bethesda's games for a while now. I think it really started with Morrowind, but Oblivion and Fallout 3 have also peaked my interest and have both turned out to be pretty awesome games. Brink looks like it might take place in the future, but I can't be entirely sure quite yet. All I do know is that I'm excited for it, and that's one damn realistic eye! even if it is pre-rendered...

DJ Hero
- Link
I think the DJ Hero game has a lot of promise, and I think it'll probobly sell well, just cause it's so directly related to Guitar Hero. I'm not sure quite how it'll play just yet, but I'm interested to see. The trailer definitely looks like it has a cool style, and if they do it right, the game could be really fun, especially if you can mix multiple tracks together. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Alpha Protocol - Link
The trailer doesn't show any gameplay, but having seen the gameplay in action before, and hearing about all of the different action-RPG elements that are going in to the game, I can say that this trailer makes me pretty excited. I don't think this area has been explored much in video games before, and it sounds like it'd be great with the RPG elements.

Brutal Legend - Link
Not so much a trailer, but just a cutscene from the game. This makes me even more excited than I already was for Brutal Legend. The writing seems up to par with other Tim Schafer games, and Jack Black is hilarious as always, and really does a great job with the over-the-top voice acting.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Link
While I'm excited for the game, this trailer makes it seem like the joker will be playable in the storyline on the PS3 version. Really, the Joker is only going to be playable in multiplayer, so it's not that big a deal. Still, it does look like he has some pretty cool attacks and stuff. Overall, my hype level for this game is middling, we'll see how it turns out, I suppose.

Mass Effect 2 - Link
Looking just as awesome as the first game, but I'm still confused... isn't Shepard supposed to be dead or a Geth or something? I mean, that's what the teaser trailer would have us believe, but now they have him here, running around, fighting aliens, and just being Shepard. I'm excited for Mass Effect 2, but also, pretty damn confused!

Lost Planet 2
- Link
Lost Planet 2 looks so different than the first game, that I'm not sure what to think. It's starting to look a lot more like Gears of War more than anything else right now, and while Gears is a good game, I kind of feel like if Lost Planet was to go in that direction, it'd just be generic and loose what really made the first game so appealing. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Heroes of Telara - Link
It looks like a generic fantasy RPG. Wizards, warriors, castles, giant orcs... I don't think you could get much more generic looking than this. I honestly don't know how it'll play but the animations and the style of the graphics are both just so underwhelming that I can't get excited much. The only redeeming value of this game is it's character designs, but it honestly doesn't look like something that would save the game.

Just Cause 2 - Link
I had a lot of fun with the first Just Cause, even though it had it's fair share of problems. Just Cause 2 looks like it takes a lot of stuff from the first game, and makes it even CRAZIER! I'm hoping they iron out a lot of the issues that plagued the first game, and make this a really solid open-world stunt action game. Viva la revolution!!

Split Second
- Link
I'm kinda confused as to why Disney Interactive is involved with this game, as it doesn't look like anything even remotely Disney-related. Putting that aside, though, the game looks like it could be a pretty awesome racing game. It reminds me a lot of Full Auto, but hopefully this game will take the concept of that game, and make it into something that's actually fun to play. I am a bit skeptical, but I'm also fairly excited.

Dragon Age: Origins - Link
I'm already pretty excited about Dragon Age: Origins, simply because of the name, and because Bioware is making it... so this trailer only increases how much I'm anticipating it, even though there's not actually any gameplay. I kinda like how they have the metal music with the medieval setting, but I'm really hoping they don't have that actually in-game, cause it would probobly ruin the atmosphere for me.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
- Link
If it's anything like the first game (and it looks like it probobly will be), then it's going to be awesome! With the introduction of new characters like Venom and the return of other awesome characters from the first game like Deadpool... I can definitely say I'm excited.

Supreme Commander 2
- Link
So, I never played the first Supreme Commander, but I know it was made by a US developer. Now, Supreme commander 2 seems to be in development by... who? Square Enix?! I'm confused as to how or why this happened, but it looks like it's giving the game a very Japanese feel. between the designs for the characters to the designs for the robots, every thing looks very anime inspired, and I'm not sure what to think of it quite yet. I guess it won't matter too much since it's an RTS, and you won't see much of the character designs aside from cutscenes, but I still just think it's weird.

Need For Speed: SHIFT
- Link
I've never been a big fan of racing sims like Gran Turismo, PGR, or Forza. I could never really get into them, because the driving is so precise, that it takes a lot of time to get good at playing it. However, I do like what this game is trying to accomplish, and I am a big fan of the in-car view, with the motion blurring helping yo set your sights on the road, and not so much on your impressive-looking dashboard. My hope for this game is that it won't have the high learning curve of other racing sims, but still provide that realistic driving experience.

And that's about it! I didn't watch any of the sports game trailers, because frankly, I don't care much about sports games. However, if you want to check em' out, here's some links for ya:
NHL 10
Madden NFL 10

No comments:

Post a Comment